вторник, 10 августа 2010 г.

MAPPED OUT

I'm planning to walk 300 kilometres through the Rocky Mountains from Jasper to Kakwa Lake Provincial Park in a couple of weeks.

Just before I left the UK, I did the Pennine Way, which is just over 400 kilometres but there are some important differences. When I did the Pennine Way, although I took my own tent I could re-stock every couple of days as I went through villages along the way. I could also stop by a pub and have a pint if I felt like it. I stayed in campsites most nights and could have a hot shower.

On this walk, there are two of us going and there's absolutely nothing between where we start and where we finish so we've got to be self-sufficient for the whole journey. The trails aren't especially good either, so there might be a bit of bushwacking. On the upside, the scenery is amazing with big lakes, mountains, glaciers and the like.

The wildlife is pretty scary though, in the sense that on the Pennine Way the biggest aminal you're likely to meet is a deer that will run away as soon as it sees you. Over here, there's every chance you'll see a Grizzly which might not run off. To this end, I'm getting some bear spray and hoping for the best. A firearm is out of the question because part of the route goes through National Parks where they are banned.

Apart from the bear deterrent, I'm not taking much else that I didn't take on the Pennine Way. I'm bringing a length of rope for the river crossings, renting a satellite phone and investing in a Clark Jungle Hammock.

I'm looking forward to it and I'm right in the middle of getting the maps ready. Below you can see all my maps on the floor of the basement (which I spent the winter renovating). Looks quite a long way now!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий